Nevada Solar One: 64 MW, Solar-Thermal Power Plant
- "second largest concentrated solar power plant in the world"
- "nominal capacity of 64 MW and maximum capacity of 75 MW"
- Yearly electricity production estimate: 134 million kilowatt hours
- Cost: $266 million
- Solar collectors cover 300 acres; easily visible from satellite imagery (see satellite image at bottom of page).
- Technology: uses 760 parabolic troughs. Troughs use over 18,000 specially coated tubes made of glass and steel measuring 4 meters each. A fluid inside the tubes is heated to 735 °F; the heat is then exchanged to water that produces steam and drives a turbine.
By Anonymous - June 16th, 2009